Saturday, January 03, 2009

The Diversity Trap

I often think of this commercial for reasons other than nostalgia.

This nice commercial predates all this diversity propaganda. I remember the 1970's as a time where we believed in something called the Melting Pot.

You dove in. You changed it and it changed you. Foreigners back then happily assimilated and we welcomed them with open arms. Everyone was your brother or sister. Skin color did not matter. We did not call ourselves anything but Americans. No hyphens. I did not even know what European blood I had in me till I asked my Dad when I was in my teens. No one cared! What mattered is what was on the inside. Everyone was proud to be an American – especially the Americans by choice.

Now look at who we got for a First Lady. Michelle Obama was only proud of her country “for the first time in my adult lifetime” when she thought – correctly as it turned out – she was being crowned.

The general consensus, at least as I saw it back then, was we were all more alike than we were different.

Now a days with "diversity" we are all divided into groups and subgroups.

Separate and apart.

“Diversity” promotes the poisoned idea that because I am white and you are black there is an invisible barrier between us. We are totally different. We are so different that I have to be lectured on tolerance and urged not to resort to violence.

I hate that. Tolerance was something I was taught as a little kid. I have never fought anyone in my entire life. We are being condescended to death. What diversity means in practice is division. I am not sure if that is the intention or not but that is definitely the result.

Some of us don’t even speak the same language. In the town I live in the schools do not teach children English unless the parents opt out of bilingual education. Most do but the ones that don’t are left behind.

I think of this commercial because of this balkanization of our culture. Why can't we go back to the way it used to be? Maybe this “diversity” is just a phase.

I sure hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Counter